Dear Zbigniew,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

To correct myself on the A3, there wasn't much play in the valve gear,  it
was in the reverser and the linkage to the valve gear, more for my
satisfaction than the expectation of better running, as it it runs very
well now.

I did assemble a C&S Mogul--the play in all parts of the valve gear was
"overplayed".--It was sloppy! There was one fellow, whose name I can't
recall, who solved the problem by manufacturing all new valve gear!
Probably the only way to sure success! I appreciate your input and
experience on assembly and testing.

Steam on,

Geoff.

 Dear Geoff,