The trick to get the photocell to detect water is to realise that a liquid
(water) filled column has a different refractive index as compared to the steam
filled glass tube.  You have to position the cells at an acute angle to the
veridical axis of the sight glass.  As a demonstration place a pencil or rod
behind the glass and look through it at the rod.  If it appears continuous the
glass is empty, if it appears to be "broken" you are looking through the liquid
in the glass.

Rich