Mitch,

Sorry I can't help out with a source, but I can offer some health tips:

> through the smokebox.  I've seen
> Teflon and silicon insulated wire advertised as high temperature tolerant.

You should not expose any thing made of Teflon to direct flame.  It
produces a poisonus gas that will make you very unhappy. Through
the smokebox would be about the worst place imaginable to have
Teflon.  I'd suggest running it through some brass tubing -- just big
enough to get the wire through -- and along the boiler jacket.  This is
prototypical and keeps the Teflon and fire away from each other.

regards,
  -vance-

Vance Bass
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA