Hi Geoff,
Interesting subject, good question and answers. I always keep a good stock of both types of washers ready for dismantling or repairing my Aster engines. Also interesting that Mike does not use any washers at all?. (Must have some very flat mating surfaces?).
Banjo Bolts/Torque:- When I assembled my UI approx. 5 years ago, which was my first kit, I broke only one Banjo bolt out of the 25-30 or so needed in the kit when lightly torquing down. But when I assembled my King George two years later, I had approx 7-8 Banjo bolts snap off using the same/similar pressure. The replacement "new" bolts purchased through Jerry Hyde were all ok.
The only thing I could surmise was that the U1 was a "new un-opened kit", but still 7-9 years old, the replacement bolts were also probably "new" at 1-2 years old, whereas the King George kit was a "new" 12 + years older kit. I am thinking these older brass bolts became more brittle over time?. Have you, or anyone, experienced a similar problem?.
Just curious, but a caution for anyone looking to build up an "older kit".
Annealing;- You anneal all copper washers in your kits first before assembly?. If so, how?. i.e. assume applying low heat with a small butane torch?.
Best Regards,
Tony D.