I have enjoyed the banter on the size of the K-27.  I thought (maybe, maybe
not) you might enjoy a similar problem the museum I am part of has with a
full size 3' gauge outside frame 2-8-0 (1912 Baldwin, 70 tons)  which ran at
the Quincy and Torch Lake RR up in Michigan as #6.   You may see it
designated as a K-25.

We generally run a 47 ton 2-6-2 and an assortment of diesels ranging up to
55 tons.  Carry about 50,000 people per year.

Anyway, when we need to move the Quincy engine, which is not yet restored,
it is a major project.  The cab just squeezes through our car barn and
requires a track bar to pry the cab over an inch or so to clear the door,
the counter weights hit the ballast in several areas of our yard trackage,
and our boarding platform must be moved to clear the cylinders in the
station area.  I have heard stories that this engine would derail itself in
snow and ice conditions when the counter balances come down, hit the ice,
and lift itself up off the rails. The same problems seem to exist in the 12"
:1' world as it does in the smaller scales.

BTW, restoration of this engine should begin this year in an effort to
return it to operation.  We are currently completing a full rebuild on a
1912 Porter mogul.

The web site is being updated, but if interested its at www.njmt.org.  We
should have an area devoted to the many NJMT locomotives soon.

If anyone wants a tour, let me know.

J.R.