It has been my understanding (through various online conversations) that no plume means that the heat of the exhaust draught is keeping the steam too hot to show a plume (until it's spread wide enough that you can't see it anymore.) This means that less energy is getting into the boiler than is possible due to a less than perfectly efficient boiler. Basically, the other locos are more efficient than the shay, or you're running the fire too hot. :) Note that you shouldn't have to keep the safeties popping to run her well, doing so is a waste of fuel and water...

Or at least that's what I remember being told. ;]

Trot, the fox who's no design engineer, but is an equipment tech...