In full size engines, a hole in the coal fire will create a white wisp in
the stack.  And yes, wetter steam will give a whiter plume and will be VERY
white if pulling water.  Messy too.   I wonder if you run the water a little
lower, is the exhaust still as white? Is it a mushy sound or sharp?

I have been reading with interest in these emails of the "black magic"
needed to keep these butane and alcohol fires running and now I am wondering
if you might be dragging too much cool air in from under the fire.  In full
size coal burning engines, the only air drawn in through the fire passes
through the coal fire itself and even working hard, with injector on full
bore, we can make steam while heading up hill. That would be in a '27 Shay
and a '20 Baldwin 2-6-2 with a three car passenger train. In other words, on
real engines, the harder it works, the hotter the fire gets.  I sounds like
this will not hold true in the little engines.  But can it?

On a full size engine the fire itself must be changed in proportion to load
and weather conditions.    Working hard, the fire must be relatively thick
and even thicker in winter where the cold air has quite an effect.  Sitting
in the station or running with a lighter train, the fire can be much
thinner.  We also use dampers and the fire box door itself to control the
heat of the fire.

So some how, in looking at the miniature engines, is there a way to regulate
heat of the fire beyond messing with the blower?  It sounds like you are all
dealing with a fixed fire (a fixed amount of heat produced) and you must
adopt your operation around that.    The fireman on a prototype locomotive
was able to regulate the amount of heat (within reason) in response to
conditions.

I'd look at a clear stack while working hard as the ultimate goal and a good
way to measure changes to the fire.

Does anyone have an engine they'd like to sell to me cheap so  I can
experiment for myself?  I have a DEE casting set, but have not had time to
work on it.

www.njmt.org