You can get some very good pictures with a 3 megapixel camera. I don't know
how fussy you are. I still don't think a digital camera in the hobby price
range will compete with a 35mm Nikon with fine grain photo film especially
in the 8X10 or 16X12 sizes you are referring to. Like everything else, the
camera is only part of the story. The right printer and paper can make a
big difference. It takes some time to find a setup that will please you. I
use Corel Paint to control the size, quality, color balance, contrast etc.
If you use one of the newer printers that have 1200 or better DPI
capabilities, the results to me are plenty good enough. If I plan on
posting them on the net, they must be reduced in size and DPI. A three
megapixel picture not only will take forever to send and download, it takes
up a lot of disk space. Even with a fast computer, these pictures can take
a long time to process at home and print. For home use and posting to the
internet, 3 megapixels is fine. If you plan on sending them to National
Geographic I don't think so.

Hans Huyler( sp?) posts pictures on the Thursday night LS chat group from
time to time. Hans is a master at getting pictures that are razor sharp and
have a perspective that makes you not really sure if you looking at Gauge 1
or a full scale loco. That makes them superb in my eyes.

Phil

I'm partial to Epson printers by the way. I'm using a not very expensive
785EPX. I would get one with the new non water soluble inks by the way.
My opinions only

Phil