Harley Kelsey wrote:

> You can get blurred pictures using digital cameras because there is a
> delay after you press the shutter, while the camera adjusts exposure,
> etc.

Yes and no... The blurring isn't because of any delay between when you
push the button and when the image is captured - that's just why the
locomotive has moved half way out of frame by the time the photo is
taken.

The blurring comes from the length of time the shutter is open to allow
enough light onto the chip. It's very much like using a slow ASA film.
If you're shooting with ASA 64 film on a bright sunny day, then at f16,
a properly exposed photo would need a shutter speed of approximately
1/60th of a second. Shooting the same film inside with less light would
require a longer shutter speed or wider aperture, or both.

So, how does this relate to digital photography? The same principles
hold true. What we need to figure out is how our camera's light
sensitivity relates to film speed. My camera (Minolta S404) has a "base"
speed equivalent to ASA 64. It has two aperture sizes - f3, and f6.7. On
a bright sunny day, using its default sensitivity setting and widest
aperture, I can get away with shutter speeds on the order of 1/500. If I
were to go to the smaller (f6.7) setting, my maximum shutter speed would
decrease to 1/250. Great for most applications shooting outside in
bright light.

For "typical" shooting conditions, though, with overcast skies or indoor
lighting, our cameras need to get more light to the chip. On my camera,
I can "increase" the effective ASA up to 400. This is the same thing as
turning up the gain on a video camera. Your images will be noticeably
grainier the higher you increase the sensitivity. (Film is much the same
way - the faster the speed, the grainier the film.) You can only do that
up to a point, though. Eventually, the camera is just going to need to
keep the shutter open for longer periods of time to make sure enough
light gets to the chip. When shooting moving live steam locos, this
increased time is our worst enemy.

Let's take a 1:20 locomotive traveling at 40 scale mph. (2 real mph.)
That means in one second, the locomotive travels 2.93 feet. (Hey - I
could use an Aster as an example.<grin>) If we use a shutter speed of
1/60, then our locomotive travels 0.6" during the exposure. At the
distances typical of model photographs, that distance becomes very
noticeable, and the locomotive will be blurry. At 1/30th of a second,
the locomotive travels 1.2". Likewise at 1/120th of a second exposure,
the locomotive moves only .3"

The only way to eliminate motion blur from photographs is to decrease
the amount of time the chip spends looking at the object. The only way
to do this is to increase the amount of light on the object, so the chip
can "see" things more quickly. To some extent, this can be done by
increasing the sensitivity of the camera, or increasing the apeture to
allow more light through. In the end, though, it's just better to have
as much light as humanly possible on the subject being photographed.