Ok, I take full and open responsibility for bringing in the kiddie term of
cow catcher.  I just wasn't sure the international crowd on the board would
fully conjure up the image I was trying to convey.  I have since been
flogged, keel hauled, and beaten about the head and shoulders with a fine
rubber hose.  (Hmmm, I might actually enjoy that last one!)  I lay awake at
night staring at the ceiling thinking "My God what have I done!"

Any way, my own experience is that a good solid breast beam, at slow speed
with a 1920 Baldwin, handled the tail end of a stationary Subaru just fine.
The pilot never entered into the equation.  It was a gentle, slow motion
dance-like-sequence as the car ever so slowly was brushed aside, locomotive
wheels solidly locked up.  The round ends of the beam never even left much
of a mark on the car.  The owner had thought he had cleared the track when
he came in and parked.  He was wrong.  47 tons of solid American iron taking
on 1 ton of tin.

Then there was this garbage truck.....

Never mind.  Have a good laugh guys.

J.R.