Hi Geof.

To the best of my knowledge 4472 was never involved in the various
experiments on A3 class locos with smoke deflectors as she was in
service. I was born and grew up in Darlington. (The other LNER
workshops town) and was always a even as a kid a train spotter.
As I recall there were three types of smoke deflectors in test on various
A3 engines, the full plates, the so called German type ( as shown in the
photo and the very small ones just set behind the funnel.  Flying Scotsman
used to have the builders plate on the smoke box sides behind where the
"blinkers" as they were locally called, are on the photo.  A3 Call Boy BR N°60099
did at one stage have, the sort of smoke delectors which 4472 is
wearing now.  The discovery of GIRLS diverted my attention away from
trains for a few years but, I think I recall seeing her in BR Blue livery
with the "monkey on the wheel" emblem, but its all so long ago now isn't it.

Where these things on the photo came from I do not know, but I may be able to find
out.

regards

Bert.

Bert &  Edmunda