Paul,

Ref Signal lamps on Brit locos.

Depends what the loco is doing: There are many variations of headlamp
codes, It's complicated. I have a list I can snail mail  it to you or try
and scan it. Or,  if you tell me what duties the tank is going to perform I
can probably pick out the closest lamp arrangement for you. For example a
Freight , mineral or ballast train stopping at intermediate stations has
one lamp above the right buffer (looking from the cab). That might suit
you--only one lamp to lose too! Personally, I identify all my locos as
express passenger, no matter what they do, that way I don't get anymore
befuddled than I already am and these colonists don't know a lamp from a
buffer anyway--except Keith Taylor and Harry Wade--and Walt Gray????!!

Who am I to know! My source is from a  G1MRA publication some years ago--as
I recall.

Geoff