Steve,
I cannot say for sure about the C-16, but the reason that the Aster C7S
Mogul has only one eccentric, is because it isn't Stephenson's Link
motion! It is a modified form of Walchaerts gear, but without and anchor
and union link to impart the lap and lead functions to the valve,
sepeartely from the valve motion imparted by the return crank or
eccentric. An "true" Stephenson's Link Motion ALWAYS has two eccentrics,
or two return cranks. When the eccentric that provides the forward
motion is lined up with the end of the expansion link, the locomotive
moves forward with full valve travel. As you move the reverser towards
the center of the expansion link, the stroke of the valve is shortened,
until at the mid point, the valve doesn't uncover the ports at all.
Then, as you pass center, you begin to align the other end of the
expansion link with the reverse running eccentric, ever increasiong the
valve travel until you are lined up with the eccentric and the extreme
opposite end of the expansion link.
So, to make it short, if there is only one eccentric, it isn't
Stephenson's valve gear! Ther are many types of valve gear, that all
look similar, and it would probably help if you could find a copy of the
book, Model Locomotive Valve Gears by Martin Evans, or the one by Henry
Greenly, where there are good diagrams to show how each gear works.
I have a Bassett-Lowke No. 3 gauge steam locomotive (2-1/2" gauge) that
has a gear that also looks similar to Stephenson's Link Motion, but in
this case, the link doesn't vibrate with each revolution of the drivers,
and the link block slides up and down in the link with each revolution.
This a the Greenly's "corrected" motion, based on Joy valve gear. So,
unless you make an exhaustive study of valve gears, some can be a bit
difficult to identify.
Sincerely Keith Taylor   Jefferson Maine USA