> There are two books published by Dover books that has designs of
> mechanisms made from wood that actually operate.

Bob, I tried to find them online, too, without success. If you happen upon the titles,
maybe we'll track one down one of these days.

Landon wrote:
> Any thoughts as to size, type of gear, price point?

None whatever. It's just one of those things on my mental list of cool things to do.
Occasionally, I see one of those cast-iron demonstrators at a show or auction, and I
think "why pay hundreds for that when you could make one yourself for pennies -- plus
untold hours of design work?".

But, given the visual interest and the relative simplicity of design, not to mention
the
pervasiveness in application, I would probably stick with Stephenson's.

thanks,
  -vance-