Henner,

Here are a couple of pix of a homemade lubricator that is tee'd into a vertical steamline. The steamline runs through the boiler's firebox and up to the engine's steamchest. The lubricator works well.

The section of the pipe from the lubricator to the tee junction rises about 12 mm. You can see this, sort of, in the photos. (One photo is with lagging on the steamlines. The other before the lagging was added.) The 12mm rise in the steamline was speculated to prevent oil from flowing into the main steamline after just a small amount of condensate had settled in the lubricator below the oil. This was a guess and I'm not sure if it is supported by theory.

A dead-leg lubricator is a displacement lubricator. How it works is not so intuitive as a flow-through displacement lubricator. It works, but I could not explain how.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/SteveShyvers%5C4-2-0%20Project%5C4-2-0%20Lubricator.jpg
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/SteveShyvers%5C4-2-0%20Project%5CVR1A%20Notch%20Screw%20FWD.jpg

I believe that the "%" in these links must be replaced by spaces or other punctuation to work correctly. Sorry that I cannot remember that detail.

Steve

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,
on our donkeys we need to install (displacement) lubricators. The only
place available is the vertical pipe coming down to the throttle. All
lubricator designs I have seen so far work with a horizontal pipe. The
dead-leg lubricator can probably be hooked up to a vertical pipe, but this
device is a mystery to me... Any brillant ideas on how to solve our
problem?
And one more question: Empty butane cans (the Korean grocery store variety)
begin to pile up in my garage. Is there a "political correct" way to get
rid of them ?
Regards
Henner