On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:23:24PM +0200, Michal Židek wrote:
> On 07/28/2016 10:00 AM, Pavel Březina wrote:

> > > This is how I understood it at first, but the current backup
> > > and restore only work for local overrides. But as Pavel mentioned,
> > > it may work for local users and groups in the future
> > > (id_provider=local). My original confusion was that I also
> > > thought it backs-up and restores all ldb files, which is
> > > not the case.
> >
> > No, the intention is to backup only data that are not stored on server
> > and would be lost when the cache is removed. In the time, only local
> > overrides were local. If secrets creates local data, the tool should be
> > modified.
>
> Yes,  but users and groups from local domain would also be
> lost if the local data is deleted. So I though we want to backup
> them as well in the future versions (I mean the local provider,
> not the files provider).

Well, probably not in the first version, but definitely in a couple of
months we want to add the capability to set extended attributes to the
files provider which we'll want to back up as well. But I also think we
will add the additional data into a new directory, just like we did with
the secrets database.

> Btw. do we want to merge sss_override tool into sssctl?
> Because if the local-data-* commands work currently with
> overrides only, then we could make a new topic 'overrides' and add commands
> like

I would like to merge all tools into sssctl unless there is a strong
reason to keep them separate (the local domain tools should be kept
separate IMO).

The reason is simply discoverability, if there is a new sssd release,
the admin would just run sssctl and if there are any new tools, their
topics would be displayed.

(Also I think the code duplication would be reduced as a side-effect).

> sssctl overrides-backup
> sssctl overrides-restore
>
> and later also all the functionality of sss_overrides
>
> sssctl overrides-user-add
> sssctl overrides-user-del

Maybe, but later.

> etc.
>
> This way we could avoid confusion between local-data and
> cache. If secrets will also create some local data, we will
> add topic 'secrets' to deal with that separately.
>
> sssctl secrets-backup
> sssctl secrets-restore

I think I got lost in the thread :-) What is the benefit of having more
backup/restore commands than one that backs up or removes of value under
the /var/lib/sss/ structure? So far I can only think of cache being more
intuitive to admins than local-data.

> We can then keep the topic 'local' for the local
> provider related tools (if we want to merge them at
> some point). Like
>
> sssctl local-user-add (to replace sss_useradd)
> sssctl local-user-del (to replace sss_userdel) etc.

I'm not sure we want to merge id_provider=local into sssctl..