On (26/09/16 12:14), Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
>Jakub,
>
>On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Jakub Hrozek <jhro...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 03:39:19PM +0200, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:

>>> ping?
>>
>> I'm sorry this patch totally stalled.
>>
>> In general I'm all for adding more checks and let a machine help us
>> write safer code. I'm not sure if adding all warnings on all platforms
>> will ever be possible, though. For example, there was a warning in
>> krb5_child because an old libkrb5 release used a "char *" parameter
>> where a "const char *" was more appropriate and we said we'd never fix
>> this because a newer version fixed the API (or used a different
>> function? Not sure..)
>>
>> But I wonder how to move this patch forward the best. Are there any
>> warnings that you think are more important to enable than others?
>>
>> What about enabling a single warning, then running SSSD build and
>> creating a ticket with the warnings (running make 1</dev/null might be a
>> good way to start..). Then we can see what needs fixing in SSSD for each
>> of the additional warnings or if we decide this is not worth our time,
>> we can either close or defer that ticket.
>>
>> These tickets might also be a good way for a newcomer to contribute some
>> code to SSSD!
>
>So, general comments here.
>
>We have a list of the current warnings that we cannot deal with in
>src/sssd-compile-warnings.m4. From this list we can, already, have a
>good idea about what is worth to fix or not.
>
>About the idea to try to build SSSD ... well, it can be done.
>I'll take some time later on and prepare a bug for each of the
>warnings that we can't cope with and them we can discuss there whether
>would make sense to fix those or not.

Here are few of my observation.
The patch added 255 new configure time checks.

The configure tooks 5 extra seconds in my case (everything in ram-disk).
But in our CI machines it added +20 seconds in average.
The configure scriot is execute 5 times in our CI-script
(debug build, distcheck, intgcheck, mock, coverage build)

In Summary, the patch would add unnecessary 100 seconds.

I would prefer if all compile time warnings were part of AM_CFLAGS
and we shoul add compile time checks only for warnings which are supported by
new compilers or are supported only by gcc or only by clang.

LS