On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM, Lukas Slebodnik <lsleb...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On (26/09/16 21:47), Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:

>>> Here are few of my observation.
>>> The patch added 255 new configure time checks.
>>>
>>> The configure tooks 5 extra seconds in my case (everything in ram-disk).
>>> But in our CI machines it added +20 seconds in average.
>>> The configure scriot is execute 5 times in our CI-script
>>> (debug build, distcheck, intgcheck, mock, coverage build)
>>>
>>> In Summary, the patch would add unnecessary 100 seconds.
>>>
>>> I would prefer if all compile time warnings were part of AM_CFLAGS
>>> and we shoul add compile time checks only for warnings which are supported
>>> by
>>> new compilers or are supported only by gcc or only by clang.
>>
>>I'm completely fine dropping the patch.
>>
> I am not against patch.
> I want enabling warnings But I would prefer more efficient
> version if possible.
> Reducing 255 configure time checks to 25 could be reasonable IMHO.
> The extra time overhead at configure time would be reasonable.
>
> e.g. We could enable warning -Wnull-dereference on fedora 25+ (i didn't try
> older versions of fedora) but it's not supported by gcc on el6. It cannot be
> added into AM_CFLAGS

I'd prefer to just drop the patch than do something else that wouldn't
take advantage of the manywarnings' scripts.
The whole point of the scripts is that you update them every now and
then _avoiding_ any kind of work apart from downloading and pushing a
file. Any kind of thing that would bring us more work is not worth,
IMO, mainly if the reason is 100 seconds in a process that already
takes 40+ minutes.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio