I would definitely be interested in testing the changes out.

I don't think I am running into that ticket exactly; I'm not in one group with
that many users that I'm aware of. However, my own account is in over twenty
groups, some of which are "all employees" and "all students", so it's a large
result set. Ultimately it just means lots and lots of extra look-ups when I
just want a list of GIDs/names.

Here is my config file. This is mostly from trial and error, Google and man, so
it's probably not perfect (but it works):

# grep -vE '^(#|$)' sssd.conf
[sssd]
config_file_version = 2
domains = CUAD
services = nss, pam
[nss]
debug_level = 0
filter_users = root
filter_groups = root
[domain/CUAD]
auth_provider = krb5
enumerate = false
id_provider = ldap
krb5_realm = ...
krb5_server = ...
ldap_default_bind_dn = ...
ldap_default_authtok_type = password
ldap_default_authtok = ...
ldap_disable_referrals = true
ldap_group_object_class = group
ldap_id_use_start_tls = true
ldap_schema = rfc2307bis
ldap_search_base = ...
ldap_tls_reqcert = allow
ldap_uri = ldaps://...
ldap_user_fullname = displayName
ldap_user_gecos = displayName
ldap_user_home_directory = unixHomeDirectory
ldap_user_name = cn
ldap_user_object_class = user

Thanks,
Josh