On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:33:04AM +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-04-24 at 11:19 +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> > CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
> > click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know
> > the content is safe.
> >

> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2018, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> >
> > > It seems like a missing keytab file prevents any login in a AD connected
> > > sssd. Does it need to be so?
> > >
> > > I have a vague memory from the past that a missing/invalid keytab file
> > > only prevented SSO but allowed login using your password ?
> >
> > Presumably you can make it work without needing a keytab if you use ldap as
> > an
> > auth provider.
> >
> > If you're using AD, you're using kerberos and ldap.  If you're using
> > kerberos,
> > you need to be able to validate the KDC.  How would you plan on doing that?
>
> I remember being able to login using pw when have a keytab but invalid
> kvno in the keytab. Is this case any different from not having a keytab at
> all?

The AD LDAP service requires authentication and by default the keytab
created while joining the AD domain is used by SSSD's AD provider to
authenticate against AD to be able to lookup user, groups and other
data.

For user authentication the keytab is used to validate the Kerberos
ticket returned by the AD DC.

If SSSD is in offline state only cached data is used, in this case the
keytab is not needed.

If you add the needed parameters to sssd.conf to use a simple LDAP bind
for authentication and disable ticket validation you do not need a valid
keytab. But I would recommend to just make sure a valid keytab is
available.

HTH

bye,
Sumit