Søren Holm <s...@sgh.dk> writes:
> Fredag den 11. juli 2014 10:47:50 skrev Bjørn Mork:
>> The device should be handled by only one of the drivers.  If it is going
>> to be handled by "sierra" driver then we should remove the entry from
>> the "qcserial" driver.
>>
>> My memory is on vacation...  Was it so that the "qcserial" driver fails
>> on these devices?
>
> I don't know becuse the ID is not in any of them in v3.14 which I run. So my
> change have to go into v3.14.x to make that kernel pick up the device. But
> for
> master it might be the case that qcserial actually works. I can problably
> check that.
>
> Sorry for me not checking up on that prior to submitting my patch. I did not
> expect another driver to handle a sierra wireless device.

The reason behind that is that for the MC77xx generation there was an
important difference between the DirectIP mode and QMI mode: The Sierra
vendor specific control messages SWIMS_USB_REQUEST_SetPower and
SWIMS_USB_REQUEST_SetNmea were only supported in DirectIP mode.

This might have changed with the MC73xx generation devices.  I've just
learned that the AT!SCACT command is supported in QMI mode for these
devices (it was not for the MC77xx), and there is a possibility that
Sierra has ported more of their earlier DirectIP related vendor specific
features as well.

And if the MC73xx devices require SWIMS_USB_REQUEST_SetPower then we
should move them to the "sierra" driver.

Bjørn