Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Currently, the XML schema for the jabber:iq:roster namespace does not
limit the length of an item name or a group name. I think that might
cause problems. In particular I think it might be good to specify that:

1. The 'name' attribute can be a string between 0 and 1023 characters in
length. [1]

2. The XML character data of the <group/> element can be a string
between 1 and 1023 characters in length.

Objections?

/psa

[1] I am assuming that the following are equivalent:

    <item jid='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
          name=''/>

    <item jid='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'/>

    If we don't like name='' then we could specify that the
    'name' attribute must be of non-zero length. But I see no
    harm in saying that including name='' in a roster set is
    equivalent to not including the 'name' attribute.

+1 for specifying upper limit for octets for each.
Naturally there are existing limits to this, but those are implementation details - something standard will give both clients and servers a upper limit confidence.

Regards,
Mridul

PS: Strange, I was discussing about this with some others just a couple of weeks back :)