Hi Joe!

Joe Hildebrand schrieb:
+1 for limiting it.
However, 1024 octets please, rather than characters, like JIDs.

+1 for limiting it

... but please based on characters, not on octets. (I also voted against limiting JIDs based on octets.)

Reasons:
- Modern database systems as well as modern programming languages do store characters, not bytes. - XMPP is based on top of XML and XML does handle characters, not bytes. (e.g. you cannot store a NULL byte in XML, even not as an entity) - A limitation based on characters is what a user will expect. (e.g. "Why can I enter 1024 times the letter 'a' here but only 341 times the character €?") - In GUI forms you can often already limit the number of characters a user can enter, but mostly you cannot limit the number of octets the UTF-8 representation of the string the user has entered.

... I'd even propose that the JID limitation should be changed to characters in RFC3920bis.

Matthias