On 8/2/07, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What specifically breaks? Does it depend on which characters would be
> allowed in nodeprep2? I agree that / and @ are problematic, but the
> characters " & ' < > seem less so. But I may be missing something.

  I believe this section was a left over from the original pre-rfc
specification which was attempting to fit a JID into standardized URI
notation, which specifically explains allowable characters, reserved
characters, and characters which must be escaped.  See rfc 2396.  The
section which deals with those characters is:

====
The angle-bracket "<" and ">" and double-quote (") characters are
   excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
   text documents and protocol fields.  The character "#" is excluded
   because it is used to delimit a URI from a fragment identifier in URI
   references (Section 4). The percent character "%" is excluded because
   it is used for the encoding of escaped characters.

====

  I'll go jump down in a hole again.  :-)

--
-- Thomas