We have looked extensively at both PubSub (at Joe HildebrandĀ¹s suggestion)
and ReX and have found both lacking in several significant ways. You can
find our issues with pubsub in the mailing list logs from about 1.5-2 years
ago. Our comments on ReX are:

1.  REX has no history; either absolute or relative.  There is no way to
join an existing session and be brought up to speed.  There is also no way a
user can be disconnected, reconnect, and request the last X events to
process.

2.  REX has no user information.  Without using IQ packets or some form of
identification, there is no accountability.  No one knows who edited what.

3.  REX has no concept of roles or permissioning.

4.  REX has no concept of presentation.  A session does not track a
"current" page or have a presenter leading participants through a session.
There is also no way to have a virtual "pointer" or other presentation
tools.

5.  REX has no way to handle file transfers.  If an external entity is
linked into the document, there's no protocol in place for the file transfer
to occur so other users can link the information.

6.  REX has no way to logically order documents.  REX can support multiple
    documents, but there is no concept of "next" or "previous" documents.

7.  REX has no way to delete a document entirely.

Whiteboards aren't fundamentally documents they are an interactive
experience. You need to able to do things like controlling which page and
layer other users are seeing, manipulate and leverage permission in unique
ways, manipulate SVG is specific ways to support pages and layers, support
user's pointer movements, etc.... If we try to treat a whiteboard as only a
document then the users are going to have a very unpleasant experience.

We have a working server (OpenFire) and client (TransVerse) implementations
that are available for people to play with at https://xmpp.je.jfcom.mil. We
also have a 2nd server implementation for Jabber XCP that is 90% complete -
just missing the database persistence part and that will be done in next
couple of weeks.

So instead of tanking a working proven protocol (we've tested it with 100+
concurrent users). Why don't we look at what we need to update to the
current specification to address some of the concerns.

The XMPP community really needs a whiteboarding specification now. If ReX is
delayed until late 2008/or 2009 then the XMPP will have missed a great
opportunity to leap ahead. As some of you are aware, XMPP is gaining ground
rapidly in DOD, NATO, USGOV, and other national governments. Getting
whiteboarding standardized quickly (especially before the SIP/SIMPLE folks
are able to do it) would really help put many of the proprietary and SIMPLE
systems to rest.

I fear that if we try to force whiteboarding into a yet to be designed,
developed, and tested XML shared editing approach then it will be years
before an implementation is available that people can use.

boyd