Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Back in August I emailed about this issue [1] with the IETF area
directors for applications and security, relevant WG chairs, and
interested others. The conclusion was that in rfc3920bis we would make
the following changes to the mandatory-to-implement technologies:

1. Remove DIGEST-MD5

I strongly disagree. Restrained (Web) clients can't implement TLS over TCP/IP. So without DIGEST-MD5 the passwords would end up being transmitted in the clear!

Even where TLS is available, SASL PLAIN requires server operators to keep copies of all users' passwords. This is a serious (and often unnecessary) security weakness.

TLS + DIGEST-MD5 is stronger than TLS + SASL PLAIN

2. Add TLS + SASL PLAIN

I agree.

- Ian