On 9/27/07, Janne Savukoski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thomas Charron wrote:
> > >   Here's what's interesting.  The patents issues where to France Telecom.
> > >   The patents where issued, I believe, on exactly the same use we
> > > where looking at, specifically, distributing XML document changes over
> > > Jabber/XMPP.
> > I haven't looked at the patent application itself. What's the number?
> Heh, I just had to take a look. "Data signal for modifying a graphic
> scene, corresponding method and device" :) (US 6,911,982)
> Actually pretty educating, I could've never guessed that one can
> generalize patents this broadly outside their original scope...

  They probrably did it that way intentionally.  Otherwise, someone
else could use a similar technique but make it unique by adding 'other
ways' of say, transporting the data.

  France Telecom has a whole slew of patents for things that
personally, I disagree with.  Take a gander at this page:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?query_txt=France%20Telecom%20XML

  Or even better!

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?query_txt=france%20telecom%20instant%20message

--