On Mon Mar 10 21:33:18 2008, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
1) How does the client know that it's got all the updates?

How does a client know it has all of its presence? It doesn't, and it doesn't matter.

I'm not convinced it doesn't matter in that case, either.

Same thing here. What's the difference between these roster pushes and any other roster push?

These definitely happened in the past.

2) Doesn't this mean that every roster push has to be acknowledged? Doesn't this increase the transmissions required from a client? (Note that the client cannot pipeline them all into the same TCP packet, because of (1) - otherwise, it'd presumably compress well).

No. Same as any roster push. You just have to store the version number, and your associated data model.

Newton's second law of iq stanzas states that to every <iq type='set|get'/>, there is an equal and opposite <iq type='result|error'/>, though, so surely each push will generate a transmission?

Using one of these trendy instant messaging things, Joe told me that nobody, apparently, sends type='result' anyway - is this true, folks, and does it matter? (I think it's a mistake to encourage this).

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/