> Without checking, that was in the spec for converting the chat to muc
> case. I don't see the harm in leaving it there, but I think it'll come
> down to another argument about the impossibility of collisions on a
> guid.

That was indeed the main discussion last time. Pros: it keeps the
client very simple (it just has to query a name), and leaves out all
the logic for GUID generation and collision detection. Others were
arguing that a SHA is simple to generate, and would never collide in
pratice anyway.

I'm slightly leaning towards the first proposal, as I'm not sure I
could sleep at night knowing that in theory, my client can give a
weird error. But maybe i should stop being a purist, and accept that
the clients have much bigger issues than that ;-)

cheers,
Remko