On Tuesday 12 August 2008 23:01:13 Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Has any MUC implementation coded in support for the "unique room name
> > request" feature described in Section 10.1.4 of XEP-0045? I think this
> > feature is unnecessary and (in the interest of simplification) I would
> > like to remove it from XEP-0045.
>
> Without checking, that was in the spec for converting the chat to muc
> case. I don't see the harm in leaving it there, but I think it'll come
> down to another argument about the impossibility of collisions on a
> guid.

There are many places where a UUID may be appropriate, but I don't think this
is one of them.  You're desiring an unique handle to the MUC service, and the
MUC itself is really the authority for that.

I'd buy client-asserted hashes if conferencing was some peer-to-peer thing,
but MUC is a client/server design.

-Justin