Am 30.09.2008 um 17:33 schrieb Dave Cridland:

And to cover our coversation elsewhere (through that funny "Instant Messaging" thing), a downside of including <body> is that a client might assume it's a reasonable alternative, whereas otherwise it could bounce the message (type="error") which would cause the sender to re-initiate the session.

Messages with unknown stuff are simply ignored, the RFC says so IIRC.

So yes, JS's problem is real, but the proposed cure of adding <body> to IBB is worse than the disease, and I'll cheerfully admit I hadn't thought this one through - sorry for jumping in like that.

It solves the problem with clients that don't know IBB, thus will just throw away the stanza and not warn - the user never knows he lost a message.

Incidentally, both ends can check the session by using XEP-0199 inside the P2P XML stream. And XEP-0198 is also applicable here, and much more useful than XEP-0184 on the IBB packets.

Think about small clients that only support the really necessary stuff to use XMPP.

--
Jonathan