On Sun Oct  5 23:54:06 2008, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
Am 06.10.2008 um 00:42 schrieb Dave Cridland:

FWIW, I owe Gajim a patch after a particularly annoying train journey on Friday where I couldn't turn off Gajim's similarly annoying client ping, which neatly killed the client connection in every bridge - my mail client stayed online throughout.

You can disable that in ACE - it's always one of the first things I do when I install Gajim on a new machine ;).

Actually, I couldn't find the right option. I could disable keepalives, but that didn't disable pings. Not that this matters for the purposes of this discussion.

Maybe we should change the default. Feel free to create a ticket about that at http://trac.gajim.org/

It's not the default that's the problem, nor actually sending pings. Sending pings is fine and good - it can tell the user whether there's connectivity to the XMPP server, and tell the user what the current latency is. Both useful things, and good to do.

The bad thing is that the connection is then dropped if Gajim decides, without bothering to ask the user, who might be perfectly well aware that he's in a train tunnel, or he's unplugged the cable, or whatever else is going on.

In general, I don't think that clients should ever be dropping connections without explicit direction from the user. (Obviously we're talking about clients with a UI and a user to talk to).

Similarly, I think servers ought to be very liberal in terms of timeouts. The exception is when a new connection is attempting to reuse the same resource - then it's worth being much more brutal, but still, a responding client on the requested resource suggests a user configuration error, not a networking one.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/