Kevin Smith wrote:
Per the RFC3921 (including the newer draft), when <message type> is
"normal", presumably appropriate for something like an email, it is
stated that "A receiving client SHOULD present the message in an
interface enabling the recipient to reply, but without a conversation
history."> Although SHOULD != MUST, it's probably not correct to use normative
language (MUST, SHOULD, MAY) with regard to UI recommendations like
these, so I'll clean that up in the next version of rfc3921bis.

I think the intention is that the client should provide a UI for
messages that allows replies to be constructed and with large message
bodies, while chat UI should be presented with the conversation
history.
Sure... Then I'd suggest the aspect about potentially large message bodies be spelled out instead (and/or a likely corollary to this, a less immediate expectation of a response).

To change topic slightly...

Since having a @type on <message> is recommended and as the other types don't seem to apply, should Pubsub recommend use of <message type=headline> for all of its messages? If so (as really seems necessary if one type is to be chosen since the closest type, 'normal' seems excludable since there is no expectation of a reply in Pubsub), might the following description of the type 'headline' need to be adjusted: "message is probably generated by an *automated* service that delivers or broadcasts content (news, sports, market information, RSS feeds, etc.)" (emph. added)?

'Automated' to me seems to be implying that the service is taken from some other source and does not involve a conscious update by a publisher. I know there is a "probably" in there, but that would seem to me to be overemphasizing, especially if Pubsub (which of course allows manual publishing of new items rather than a mere aggregration and (re)distribution of news) is made to use this type.

Brett