Hi everybody,

accordingly to rfc3921 connected resources are resources that have
established a binding, and they become available after sending the
first presence stanza.

Section 11.1 tells:
 * Else if the JID is of the form <[EMAIL PROTECTED]/resource> and no
available resource matches the full JID, the recipient's server (a)
SHOULD silently ignore  the stanza (i.e., neither deliver it nor
return an error) if it is a presence stanza, (b) MUST return a
<service-unavailable/> stanza error to the sender if it is an IQ
stanza, and (c) SHOULD treat the stanza as if it were addressed to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> if it is a message stanza.

This seems that if a resource is connected  and not online, that
resource can't receive any xmpp stanza from other entities, unless it
goes fully online. However server implementations behave slightly
different (e.g. ejabberd seems to deliver anything if the resource is
correct), and clients ask the roster (or send other iqs to the server)
before going online, which should not work if the above rules are
strictly enforced.

I think that we should better define this point. My position is that
we should explicitily allow the delivery of any <iq/> packets if the
resource belongs to a connected user, even if not online. In this way
clients could perform some <iq/> queries to well known services before
going online, thus eliminating one of the few useful cases for
invisibility

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com