On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yep, but I see now that there is another possibile conflict between
>> rfc3920 and 3921:
>>
>> In the following rule we say: "# If the JID contains a resource
>> identifier and there exists no connected resource that matches the
>> full JID, the recipient's server SHOULD return a
>> <service-unavailable/> stanza error to the sender. "
>>
>> and in 3921, accordingly to 11.1, rule 3:
>>
>> "Else if the JID is of the form <[EMAIL PROTECTED]/resource> and no
>> available resource matches the full JID, the recipient's server (a)
>> SHOULD silently ignore the stanza (i.e., neither deliver it nor return
>> an error) if it is a presence stanza, (b) MUST return a
>> <service-unavailable/> stanza error to the sender if it is an IQ
>> stanza, and (c) SHOULD treat the stanza as if it were addressed to
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> if it is a message stanza. "
>
> I don't see a conflict. The rfc3921 rules build on the rfc3920 rules
> (which are vague enough that the rfc3921rules don't conflict). Or at
> least that was the idea.

In rfc3920 we say "hey, each time we have a full JID, if the
associated resources is not connected you should send back an error",
then in 3921 "wait, if the stanza is a message change idea and try to
deliver it to the bare JID" (without considering the uncertainety
related to "connected" or "available" resources).  As a developer I'd
take rfc3920 a transport/routing layer which should work consintently
either at the bottom of 3921 or a standalone streaming protocol. In
both cases I expect the same behavior for the same packets and this
behavior should be defined only in 3920, that's to say: if the
resource is not connected, discard the packet, with no change of
recovering it at an higher level.

However now I see that in 39020bis that sentence has disappeared and
we have slightly different rules I'm pretty comfortable with ;) :

- If the JID contained in the 'to' attribute is of the form
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]/resource> and there is no connected resource that exactly
matches the full JID, the stanza shall be processed as if the JID were
of the form <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

- If the JID contained in the 'to' attribute is of the form
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]/resource> and there is a connected resource that exactly
matches the full JID, the server SHOULD deliver the stanza to that
connected resource.

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.