Am 20.11.2008 um 20:52 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:

Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

Well, we just talked about sharing it automatically, so there should be
a way to revoke it. :)

Right. This gets into the definition of a chat session, so I'm changing
the subject. IMHO "chat session" is still a bit vague, and when I have
time I'll work to clean that up in rfc3921bis. However for now I would
suggest the following modified text:

***

When two parties engage in a chat session but do not share presence with
each other based on a presence subscription, they SHOULD send directed
presence to each other so that either party can easily discover if the
other party changes its availability or goes offline during the course
of the chat session. However, a client MUST provide a way for a user to
disable such presence sharing globally or to enable it only with
particular entities.  Furthermore, a party SHOULD send directed
unavailable to the other party when it has reason to believe that the
chat session is over (e.g., if, after some reasonable amount of time, no
subsequent messages have been exchanged between the parties).

***

What about XMPP sessions, btw? When we end the session / thread, we should also send unavailable. But this is something to add in the Sessions XEP, isn't it?

--
Jonathan