Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> I'd be interested to have a look at that client lib. In which language
> is it written?

It is written in Python. I did not use existings libs because the focus
of that lib is not normal XMPP chatting, I wanted a lib designed for
application control. E.g. I want to control my dvb card at home from my
laptop at work. XMPP is the transport layer, but chatting is not
used. I will have some time at the end of the week to clean up some mess
in the lib and put it into the freevo svn so everyone can take a look at
it.

> I also like the fact that you don't try to use a direct connection,
> which has the known problems, which many just ignored in the previous
> discussion.

Well, it is more an accident. The c2c layer just tells my jingle plugin
to open a stream. Since the only stream plugin I have right now is IBB,
I have to use it. Later I want to add direct support, but it will be
possible to define what you want. E.g. media transport is not allowed to
use IBB and you may also configure the system to always use IBB for c2c
if you like. The lib itself doesn't care.

> If your lib works, I'd be happy to see clients using it :).

Like I said, the lib is primary for bot-to-bot communication. It can not
even open a thread. But if someone wants, it shouldn't be hard to
implement it.

> But unfortunately, a new lib doesn't solve the problem for the current
> clients, or did you patch any existing, widespread lib like xmpppy?

No, unfortunately my lib does not provide any TLS based security for any
existing clients. But if someone else adds support in a client, we can
use it to do some interop-testing.

Dirk

--
Drinking coffee for instant relaxation?  That's like drinking alcohol for
instant motor skills.