From: standards-boun...@xmpp.org [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Helge Timenes
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 1:24 AM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: [Standards] XEP-0255: Location Query

Just a heads up notice:

As suggested by Stephen Pendleton I plan to add ip-address to the type
of "beacons" that can be submitted in a location query. The
justification being that in most cases an IP address can be associated
with a particular country, region and city. Some items of concern in
this matter:

A server implementing this XEP directly might be able to pull out a
connected user's IP address without this tag. I assume a component style

implementation does not have this option, or there would be little use
in re-stating it explicitly in the stanza.

This XEP is of particular interest for mobile applications. Does anyone
know if the IP-to-location mapping holds true for mobile connections?
Are handsets assigned an IP by the local carrier where you happen to be
roaming, or by your home-network? Do mobile operators even use
location-mappable IP addresses?

As  opposed to cell towers, wifi access points and bluetooth devices, an

ip address can hardly be construed as a beacon in any sense of the word,

i plan to change the nomenclature to simply "reference" from now on.

Any injections/suggestions/comments? If no suggestions to the contrary,
i will add type "ip" and rename "beacon" to "reference".

As already mentioned i feel more and more that breaking up the generic
notation and using dedicated tags for each beacon/reference would make
sense, but as there has not been much opinions in either direction on
this I'll leave it as mentioned above under the motto "if it ain't
completely broken, don't fix it more than necessary..."

Helge