-----Original Message-----
From: standards-boun...@xmpp.org [mailto:standards-boun...@xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Helge Timenes
Sent: 02/13/2009 1:24 AM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: [Standards] XEP-0255: Location Query

Just a heads up notice:

As suggested by Stephen Pendleton I plan to add ip-address to the type
of "beacons" that can be submitted in a location query. The
justification being that in most cases an IP address can be associated
with a particular country, region and city. Some items of concern in
this matter:

A server implementing this XEP directly might be able to pull out a
connected user's IP address without this tag. I assume a component style
implementation does not have this option, or there would be little use
in re-stating it explicitly in the stanza.

This XEP is of particular interest for mobile applications. Does anyone
know if the IP-to-location mapping holds true for mobile connections?
Are handsets assigned an IP by the local carrier where you happen to be
roaming, or by your home-network? Do mobile operators even use
location-mappable IP addresses?

As  opposed to cell towers, wifi access points and bluetooth devices, an
ip address can hardly be construed as a beacon in any sense of the word,
i plan to change the nomenclature to simply "reference" from now on.

Any injections/suggestions/comments? If no suggestions to the contrary,
i will add type "ip" and rename "beacon" to "reference".

IP address is worthless for mobile radio (data/gprs/etc) devices. However it
would be helpful for other IP devices (laptops, desktops, etc). Also, the
server already has the connected users IP address anyway, so maybe I am
missing something?

Thanks