Hola.

Pedro Melo typeth:
| presence to each contact) vs multi-cast presence (where each server
| sends a single presence to each domain on the user roster, and the
| remote server explodes using a reverse-roster lookup).

Not exactly..

Multicast is when you have buddies on 4 servers in Australia
and still only one presence packet er stanza is delivered
down there because those servers have some reason to trust
each other and distribute the information locally.

| http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-simple-view-sharing-02

It suggests pretty much the same approach as stanza repeaters.

People at Cisco have come up with the term "view sharing" -
we have been using "smart unicast" and "stanza repeaters" in
the past. It pre-establishes the list of recipients and sends
one packet for each involved server, but no optimization
concerning the number of servers.

According to our 2006 investigation such an approach would
remove approximately 60% of presence stanzas, as they contain
redundant information. That almost halvens overall number of
stanzas on interserver XMPP traffic (42.66% according to
those figures from 2006). Multicast would save even more.