On Tue Mar 31 21:59:46 2009, Philipp Hancke wrote:
Dave Cridland wrote:
[snip]
But then there's responsibility - right now, it's inarguably your local server which enforces who gets your presence,

From a different point of view:
It is your server which controls that I get presence from you.
This makes it necessary for my server to check that you are authorized
to send me presence - per stanza.

Offloading the distribution to my server enables my server to determine if I am really interested in your presence - once per session for any
mcast stanza. And if you want to spam me, you have make my server
believe that I am interested in you.

I think directed presence breaks your assumption, there. Your client has to decide whether an unsolicited presence is worth displaying or not, surely?

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/