I remember proposing use of ad-hoc distribution lists for this purpose about
three years back (though it was not limited to presence). Rejoining last week,
I see that the discussions continue to be the same :-)

While number of stanza's in S2S connections are usually dominated by presence
broadcasts, the 'source of truth' for a contact's roster must always be the
hosting server - and not remote servers : else any distributed system breaks
down over time.

Regards,
Mridul