On Thursday 09 April 2009 10:26:10 Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> I was trying to understand how current components and clients behave ...
> particularly since psi and others would have already faced and worked
> around/solved this issue.

Psi doesn't try to detect the type of contact to know if presence without a
resource could happen.  I'm willing to be no client does that, actually..

Besides, a transport contact could actually send a resource, and probably some
of them do.  I don't think it's fair to assume a transport would always send
presence without a resource.  So, a client has to be prepared to accept both.
I don't see much point in having special handling depending on contact type.

I agree with Robin, that the RFC should at least clarify what it means to have
presence from no resource.  Probably it should just be treated as a resource
of 0-length, that does not overshadow other resources from the same bare jid.
I think this would describe current practice.  The alternative approach of
changing all existing implementations to never send nor support presence from
no resource is not practical.  That ship has sailed.

-Justin