On Wed Jun 17 15:13:23 2009, Brian Cully wrote:
If one were to go so far as to cryptographically sign the message receipt in some way (especially with a signature based on the contents of the original message) you've gone another step to show that the client got the message and processed it in some way. I'd venture to say that for most scenarios that kind of receipt would be more than good enough.

Any kind of positive receipt, with no sign of error, is, I think, at least good enough to say "there is nothing more I can do" as a sender.

I think that includes receipt of a response to a ping sent immediately after the message, if nothing more atomic is available.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/