On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Peter Saint-Andre<stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 6/30/09 8:37 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> On Tue Jun 30 15:33:35 2009, Matthew Wild wrote:
>>> It does. Anonymous users get given a unique (~random) JID, with an
>>> empty roster. So you /can/ send presence, you just either have to send
>>> it to a known address, or add people to your temporary roster first.
>>
>> FWIW, although I agree that's what *should* happen, nothing in the
>> specifications available says that's what does.
>>
>> Perhaps an update to include such things in XEP-0175 is in order?
>
> Indeed, aligning XEP-0175 more closely with RFC 4505 might be helpful.
> For example, RFC 4505 says that typically an anonymous user will have
> "restricted access" but it seems to leave the definition of restricted
> access up to the application protocol. The security considerations
> section of RFC 4505 talks about denial of service attacks and the like,
> so we might want to discuss such issues in XEP-0175 a bit more than we
> do now. Et cetera.

Based on this and discussion on the topic the other day in jdev, I
just made a commit to Prosody to disable s2s by default for anonymous
users. This can of course be overridden by admins if they so choose,
but it seems a very sane default for me.

I wouldn't be against adding this recommendation to XEP-0175.

Matthew