Hi,

I wonder if someone has a comment on it. Joe and Dave suggested a
framing parameter to use BEEP instead of what I created. Since BEEP
sounds ok to me, there is no reason for a framing parameter and just use
BEEP.

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> After reading BEEP again...
>
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> Dave Cridland wrote:
>>>
>>> Or at least a BEEP-lite - we (Isode) may actually produce a spec for
>>> the MPP protocol that is, more or less, that - we use it for internal
>>> fast comms in our products already.
>>
>> What do you mean by BEEP-lite? I looked at BEEP again to check if we
>> could use it instead of the self-made framing and found two parts I
>> don't like:
>>
>> 1. Every MSG needs an RPY or NUL as answer? If you transfer a video in
>>    frames (that is one reason why I wrote it), what is the answer? Or
>>    does your BEEP-lite ignore the it?
>
> That is still an issue. We could just ignore that and just use MSG in
> all cases. We don't "speak" BEEP in channel 0 anyway, so it is not
> BEEP.

Suggestion: we only send MSG frames. Om the other hand we could use NUL
as answer to some frames as ack to get reliability.

>> 2. I also do not like the seqno. It has a maximum value of 4GB which is
>>    not enough when watching HD content.
>
> I see, it wraps back to 0. That works for larger content but I would
> prefer larger values in seqnum ... and the question remains if seqnum is
> needed after all.

Would it be bad to increase the range of the value? Even if it wraps at
4GB, I would prefer to make it larger. But that could break with BEEP.

>> Besides that, it would be ok for me to use the BEEP style
>> frameming. This would move the content-type stuff away from the XML
>> stream into the frameming but that is ok for me.
>
> Reading BEEP again, I don't see where BEEP says how I can check if I
> have mime headers or not. The BEEP header is only the one line and the
> payload does not specify MIME in the ABNF style.

I would be nice if someone with more knowledge on BEEP could comment on
that. We do not need the mime-stuff, only the framing.

Dirk

--
program, n.:
        A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input