On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Peter Saint-Andre<stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 7/15/09 4:44 PM, Fabio Forno wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Peter Saint-Andre<stpe...@stpeter.im>
>> wrote:
>>> It's not clear how many server codebases follow RFC 3921 about blocking
>>> jabber:iq:roster packets, but if we're going to remove that restriction
>>> (it seems we have consensus) then start filing bug reports and feature
>>> requests with your favorite server codebases and I would bet they will
>>> fix this before draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis becomes an RFC. :)
>>
>> What about clients that don't check the from, which is legit since
>> they trust the server?  For them we introduce a temporary security
>> issue
>
> Good point. Hmm. Maybe we need urn:xmpp:roster after all...

Please no :)

Broken clients get what they deserve. Here is RFC3921:

[[For added safety, a client SHOULD check the "from" address of a
"roster push" (incoming IQ of type "set" containing a roster item) to
ensure that it is from a trusted source; specifically, the stanza MUST
either have no 'from' attribute (i.e., implicitly from the server) or
have a 'from' attribute whose value matches the user's bare JID (of
the form <u...@domain>) or full JID (of the form
<u...@domain/resource>); otherwise, the client SHOULD ignore the
"roster push".]]

and 3921bis:

[[A receiving client MUST ignore the stanza unless it has no 'from'
attribute (i.e., implicitly from the user's bare JID) or it has a
'from' attribute whose value matches the user's bare JID
<u...@domain>.]]

I think any client which doesn't obey this is inherently insecure
already and should be fixed now, regardless of whether this proposed
change goes ahead. For the reasons I stated on the XMPP list I don't
have any desire for servers to vet stanzas a client receives to its
full JID (privacy lists aside).

Matthew (worried he is starting to sound like Dave :) )