On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Kevin Smith<ke...@kismith.co.uk> wrote:
>> - in the main roster on the server we have jids coming from any domain
>> - can rosters coming form separate services (each one with its own
>> domain, e.g. msn.jabber.org) contain jids from other domains or only
>> in the same domain (s...@msn.jabber.org yes, but not s...@jabber.org)?
>> I prefer to restrict to the domain
>
> They can come from any domain - think of a shared roster/user groups service.

Uhm, I'm trying to think together with presence delivery too. Shared
roster is bit tricky in that, since shared.jabber.org could tell you
that ham...@danemark.net is you roster, and then what? If your server
doesn't know that  presence is never routed. This seems a special case
where some collaboration with server itself is needed

In all the other cases instead the presence to the service jid is sufficient

>> - what happens when the main roster contains jids in the same
>> subdomain of the service? I'd say that all that entries should be
>> ignored by the client
>
> You continue as usua (e.g. for a transport you could have the service
> and the service admin both in your main roster).

I was thinking of removal. If it happens that you have
s...@msn.jabber.org in the main roster and not more in the gateway it
means that you have deleted it, perhaps with a different client, but
you server will still think that you have a subscription. Instead if
we limit the secondary rosters to a subdomain the client know that
missing jids must be deleted from the main roster. (this should happen
in the ideal world, but during the transition it will be the rule)

>> - do we allow full jids export their own roster to other clients? I'd
>> say no in the case, roster providers can be just domain jids.
>
> I don't follow - are you asking if e.g. I could share my roster with you?

I was just wondering if a client entity could be a roster provider for
a different client entity. I've no idea of possible applications, and
I'd forbid it, but perhaps it's just lack of "vision" ;)

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com