On 9/10/09 9:13 PM, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Thursday 10 September 2009 19:15:24 Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> I agree. That's the whole point of SRV records, after all! Right now
>> XEP-0215 is strictly a fallback, as is the jingleinfo protocol used in
>> Google Talk:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/apis/talk/jep_extensions/jingleinfo.html
>
> If we decide to use SRV for STUN/TURN, we'll need to specify somewhere (in a
> XEP?) which domain we're supposed to do the standard SRV lookup on.  Is it
> the JID domain or the connect host, for example?
>
> Also, can we think of any situation where SRV might be too restrictive?
> Especially if we choose to use the JID domain, then the records could end up
> being "top-level", sibling to XMPP:
>   _xmpp-client._tcp.cisco.com
>   _turn._udp.cisco.com

I think that's fine, because the SRV results will point you to the right
machine(s)....

$ dig +short -t SRV _xmpp-client._tcp.cisco.com
0 1 5222 isj3cmx.webexconnect.com.

(actual result! :)

$ dig +short -t SRV _turn._udp.cisco.com

0 1 9999 turn123.cisco.com.

(not actual result)

> This may cause overlap with another service that needs to reference TURN from
> the same place, based on the same domain, such as SIP.  And maybe this is
> fine, and SIP and XMPP could share TURN credentials, but I just wanted to
> make sure this was brought up.

Yes, I think that SIP and XMPP can share TURN credentials. Why not? From
the perspective of the TURN relay there is no difference between the two
(as far as I can see).

> I personally like the idea of using an iq to obtain the TURN host, as it adds
> a nice layer of indirection for XMPP.  But I'm not a network admin and don't
> know if this is really needed or desired.

When in doubt, add another layer of indirection? :)

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/