On 09/15/2009 05:36 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
Version 0.1 of XEP-0273 (Stanza Interception and Filtering Technology) has been
released.

Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension that enables a
client to exercise control over the XML stanzas it will receive from the server
by instructing the server to intercept and filter inbound stanzas.

Changelog: Initial published version as accepted for publication by the XMPP
Council. (psa)

Diff: N/A

I'm not convinced we really need this (at least in it's current form).

1) Some functionality overlaps with privacy lists.

2) Payload matching could be much more simple if done in tandem with disco#info. No need for entire new extension for that. Some could argue about the extended matching, but I personally don't see the need (client either supports the namespace or it doesn't, where's the benefit of server-side extended filtering except making them crash under load more often?).

3) Overloading empty SIFT query to mean "Make me available for messaging" is evil.

4) Overall, the extension seems to me like an amalgam of would-like solutions then a compact extension solving a single issue.

Personally, I'd see bigger benefit in re-doing privacy lists with current real-world requirements in mind.